Let your feet do the work for you!
41mins | 10 lectures | Beginner Level | 4.7 (90 ratings) | 409 students enrolled
Barefoot Sports Therapy is a unique Eastern modality in which the therapist’s primary tool is his or her feet. The feet achieve effortless deep tissue massage. The feet apply broader and deeper ranges of pressure than the hands or elbows. Most importantly, feet sustain deep tissue techniques for longer periods without injuring the therapist’s wrists or thumbs.
Barefoot Sports Therapy is also unique because clients can remain comfortably clothed in shorts and a top during their massage. Many potential clients do not feel comfortable with the idea of being naked, even if they know they will be covered with a sheet. Having a fully clothed massage option can open your business up to a new target market. There are whole groups of people who will never schedule a traditional Swedish massage but will eagerly book a Barefoot Sports Therapy massage knowing they can keep their clothes on.
Another unique feature of Barefoot Sports Therapy is no private room is needed; it can be done anywhere and at anytime! This makes it a great choice for outdoor sporting events such as marathons, soccer games, track or field events and other athletic occasions. Barefoot Sports Therapy can be offered beside a pool, in a park, on a balcony or at the beach. If desired, Barefoot Sports Therapy can be offered in a private room, but it is not required because clients do not need to undress.
The greatest advantage of Barefoot Sports Therapy is its versatility. There are so many ways it can be offered. For example, you can offer:
- 30-minute shoulder, back and neck treatments on any massage table with a 28-inch wooden stool for balance.
- 60- or 90-minute full-body treatments on a massage table with overhead bars (permanent or portable).
- 30-, 60- or 90-minute treatments on a mat on the floor. This is a great choice for outdoor events.
- 30-, 60- or 90-minute treatments on a Pilates Cadillac in an open space while other clients are getting physical therapy or having a Pilates lesson.
Section 1: Introduction to Barefoot Sport Massage Therapy
Essential Skills, Techniques, Setup, and Hygiene
Section 2: Shoulder Back and Neck Routine
30 min Shoulder Back and Neck Routine
Posterior Back Sequence
Anterior Shoulder and Neck Sequence
Section 3: Feet, Legs, Arms, and Back Routine
30min Feet, Legs, Arms, and Back Routine
Posterior Arm Sequence
Posterior Back Sequence
Anterior Leg Sequence
- Massage table or Twin-size foam pad or Thai mat or thick blanket
- 28-inch wooden stool with backrest
- Tall walking stick or stool to maintain your balance
- Cotton sheets and face cradle cover
- A pillow or bolster
- Massage cream
- Antibacterial disposable sanitizer wipes for feet sanitation
Who Is This Course For
- Massage Therapists
- Athletic trainer
- Mom or Dad